Friday, July 29, 2011

The awesome side

So I left the presentations early last night. My kids weren't going to present, because no one told me that all the teachers were supposed to pick a group (last week we were supposed to pick 3 out of the 9 classes), so I didn't tell them to bring their flash drives or computers or anything. And if I had to make a 3 hour presentation and a 10 page handout, I wasn't going to sit through 9 classes worth of presentations.

So I came home, put on some angry music, and set about making slides that elementary kids with little English could understand. Luckily, astronomy is full of awesome pictures.

Well over an hour after I got home (and when I left, the presentations were already at the two hour mark), my first roommate came home, and was like, "I know exactly why you left, and I understand." A few minutes later, more people come in, but they brought the TAs, who are all awesome, and we sat around while I added more slides and chatted about the week, about Korea in general, about the Korean language and what the TAs think about the North Korea situation (they hope the people will overthrow their own government, which does seem like it would be a nice solution, and it's nice to know the feeling here is, "Those poor North Koreans, run by an evil dictator," and not, "I hate North Koreans").

So it ended up being a good night. Now it's the next morning, and I'm sitting here drinking some tea and eating an orange, and in a few minutes, we're going to get on a bus and head up to the DMZ and Seoul for the day. At least, I think we're doing both. I'll let you know later. But it sounds like a few of the TAs are coming with us, so now I'm looking forward to it even more. It helps to have translators around who are our age and share a sense of humor.

No comments:

Post a Comment