Monday, August 1, 2011

Last week!

Oh, thank God. I have high school kids this week. It's such a great change. They ask interesting questions, they can do real labs (most of them), and I don't have to talk down to them at all. We can have normal conversations! One kid wants to play devil's advocate for saying increased CO2 levels don't cause increased temperatures! I mean, I disagree, but he's asking good questions, and I want to see him explore the problem. It's really exciting. Another girl is interested in ocean currents, but also worried about how her imaginary testing would hurt imaginary ocean life. It's so great.

Of course, I'm also changing classrooms again, because we're not actually allowed in the building I used yesterday and today. The working lab people here are getting annoyed, because there are high school and middle school aged kids clogging up the building and slowing down their wireless connections. And the internet is slow, so I believe them that it's our fault.

Having smart kids is really making this week a lot better than it could be. I was super stressed this past weekend. Teachers were snapping at each other, and I was trying to keep cool and keep peace when I could, I was planning a three hour lecture for kids outside my age range, and I was planning new lecture material for high school kids out of what I had. But I found a bunch of cool labs for my kids, they're good English speakers who are interested in the stuff we're learning, and I only have three and a half days left here.

On Sunday, Sara and I were being lazy, and didn't want cafeteria food, so we went to the Burger King on campus. It was wonderful. They use real sugar, not corn syrup, in their soda here, so the coke was amazing. No salt on the fries, but ketchup, and you could ask for salt separately, so it was just like home, only with better soda. Mmmm, America. They also had spaghetti for lunch on Monday. I've been here long enough that eating American food has become novel again. But when I get home, I'm totally making my friends go to a Korean barbeque. They're a ton of fun.

Fast food: a taste of home.

No comments:

Post a Comment