Wednesday, July 20, 2011

Some things are universal.

I should have something more interesting to say today, but mostly I just talked about Mars with my students and finally got them excited about things. Turns out even Korean kids with limited English skills love hearing about the possibility of life on Mars.

The funniest part of my day by far was one of my students fumbling with a cord, and his friend poked him and said, "In Soviet Russia, Korean-blah-blah-blah." I wish I knew the whole joke, but just the fact that Korean kids do Russian inversions cracked me up.

We watched some Korean TV today. I found a Korean sit-com, Korean Fear Factor, Korea's Got Talent (it was actually called that), a show where a guy teaches SAT level English words to the camera in Korean, and a bunch of travel shows in English.  So that was... interesting. I don't know if we learned anything actually, other than Korean game shows are both weirder and tamer than American shows (the competitors' reactions were way over the top, but the actual challenges were kind of boring), but not quite as crazy as Japanese game shows. For whatever that's worth.

Also, the things I miss when I'm in Korea, away from the internet for four days, and with limited time: what the crap is going on in the UK? Apparently Rupert Murdoch is taking every senior UK official down with him? My roommate was like, "So he runs the equivalent of The National Enquirer or something?" I had to find her a list of everything Murdoch owns. Sorry, this is not Korea related at all, but I feel very disconnected from the world right now.

Three days finished, two to go in my first week. It's been up and down so far, but we're closing in on the end of the week. With that said, I should go fix up my lesson plan for tomorrow. After I told my kids about Mars, one of them asked if I could do the same for Neptune, and I had to admit probably not, since we haven't flown many (any?) interesting missions to Neptune. But I told him I'd do Saturn and Jupiter. Especially since one group is doing Mars for their project, so to be fair I should give the other group a presentation on Europa.

No comments:

Post a Comment